ant-ivy-user mailing list archives

From Ben Evans <ben.ev...@db.com>
Subject Re: Why should I use a dependencies manager?
Date Mon, 08 Feb 2010 09:56:17 GMT
Hi CBy,

Personally, I recommend that you go ahead and not use a dependency manager
for this project.

There's no better teacher than having to manually sort out the mess that
occurs from a project which was "too simple" to need automated dependency
management. (See also: "Too simple to need source control").

Thanks,

Ben
--
Ben Evans
eFX Algorithmic Trading

CBy <ivy@byrman.demon.nl>
07/02/2010 15:33
Please respond to
ivy-user@ant.apache.org

ivy-user@ant.apache.org
cc

Subject
Why should I use a dependencies manager?

Hi,

I like to setup my projects in such a way that new users can check them
out from our subversion repository and are ready to go. For managing
dependencies, I have been experimenting with both Maven Ant Tasks and
Ivy. Now that I have to choose between them, I seem to have forgotten
why I started this exercise in the first place. Granted, checking in
log4j and other libraries that I use in almost every project is not very
efficient, but who cares? It's simple, has none of the bootstrapping
problems, and disk space is not really a concern nowadays. I like
simple. Is there a compelling reason not to do it this way? (I've read
the FAQ, but was not really convinced so far.)

CBy

---

this e-mail is strictly forbidden.

Please refer to http://www.db.com/en/content/eu_disclosures.htm for additional EU corporate