ant-ivy-user mailing list archives

From <Mark.Birenb...@bpsinc.com>
Subject Working on multiple dependant projects at once
Date Fri, 05 Feb 2010 16:20:46 GMT
I work at a place where we have a "product" and then we have multiple
"client" customization projects that sit on top (one 'customization' per
client).

The theory is, the "product" is developed by one team, and the
customizations are done by other teams, and thus in theory the product
team should have one ivy file, and the client teams would each have
their own, that simply treats the product as a dependency.

In practice, however, client teams are always working on product at the
same time (in order to fix bugs, add customization points, enhance
product features etc).

So what I've set up a standard ivy/ant for the product, but for clients
I have an extended build that builds the core product and the client
customizations.  In order to do this, I use the core ivy file, AND a
second client ivy file that has all the dependencies of the client but
does not depend on the core (since I'm building it at the same time).

However, having two ivy files in a single build is problematic because:

-most of my client dependencies exist in the core product, and I have to
be careful to ensure I keep version numbers in sync.

-when I use ivyde, the client project and core project both load their
dependencies, even if they're the same jar, this is particularly
problematic if the versions have resolved differently.

Anyone have a better idea on how to do this?

Also, I'm only using ivy for build time dependency management, I'm not
using it for deployment or pom/ivy file generation (at least not yet),
so that does not need to factor into any suggestions.