ant-ivy-user mailing list archives

From CBy <>
Subject Re: Integrating Ivy with NetBeans
Date Wed, 10 Feb 2010 09:15:58 GMT
On 8-2-2010 22:24, Niklas Matthies wrote:
> Hi,
> On Mon 2010-02-08 at 20:43h, CBy wrote on ivy-user:
> :
>> 1) After checking out a project from a repository, NetBeans complains
>> about reference problems. Fair enough, but building the project does not
>> make the warning go away. I have to explicitly open the "Resolve
>> Reference Problems..." dialog and click Close - there is nothing to
>> resolve anymore - to calm NetBeans.
> Touching the build.xml, project.xml and/or probably
> helps.
>> 2) When managing dependencies manually, I can point to javadoc and
>> sources as well, which comes in handy when developing. How to get this
>> feature using Ivy? By manipulating
> I don't know about the NetBeans Ivy module (which unfortunately was
> never quite ready for prime-time, IMO), but with a free-form project
> it should be possible to to define properties like
>      javadoc.reference.mydependency.jar=/path/to/javadoc
>      source.reference.mydependency.jar=/path/to/source
> (these are the properties that are generated into
> by the Project Properties dialog when defining javadoc and source
> paths for library jars) and include them into the project.xml.
> See
> Of course you'll want a "resolve" Ant target in your build.xml that
> automatically generates those properties after resolving.
>> 3) My keeps on changing. I have to commit or revert
>> it after every build.
> So don't put them into version control. ;)
> Seriously, I suspect that you need to go the free-form project route.
> Then you can separate "transient" properties from "permanent"
> properties that need to go into version control.
> At my shop we've been working on an Ant-based and largely
> IDE-independent build script infrastructure that plays nice with both
> Eclipse and NetBeans (using a free-form project setup for the latter),
> but it's been put on hold for the moment.
> Keep us posted on how it works out for you.
> -- Niklas Matthies

Thank for answering, Niklas. It's a pity that NetBeans IDE does not
integrate better with Ivy, but I'm not sure if I want to switch to
free-form projects just because of that. Perhaps I let Ivy take care of
copying dependencies to myproject/lib and register the jars from there
on manually via the IDE. That solves 2) and 3). Of course, it will give
me some extra work when dependencies change, but not too much to be

Another option might be to update only if a property
has really changed. How do I distinguish between library and sources so
I can add them to the right properties? Ivy seems to mix all jars in

What NetBeans Ivy module were you referring to: IvyBeans or something else?

View raw message