ant-ivy-user mailing list archives

From CBy <...@byrman.demon.nl>
Subject Why should I use a dependencies manager?
Date Sun, 07 Feb 2010 15:33:48 GMT
Hi,

I like to setup my projects in such a way that new users can check them
out from our subversion repository and are ready to go. For managing
dependencies, I have been experimenting with both Maven Ant Tasks and
Ivy. Now that I have to choose between them, I seem to have forgotten
why I started this exercise in the first place. Granted, checking in
log4j and other libraries that I use in almost every project is not very
efficient, but who cares? It's simple, has none of the bootstrapping
problems, and disk space is not really a concern nowadays. I like
simple. Is there a compelling reason not to do it this way? (I've read
the FAQ, but was not really convinced so far.)

CBy