ant-ivy-user mailing list archives

From Niklas Matthies <ml_ivy-u...@nmhq.net>
Subject Re: Integrating Ivy with NetBeans
Date Mon, 08 Feb 2010 21:24:38 GMT
Hi,

On Mon 2010-02-08 at 20:43h, CBy wrote on ivy-user:
:
> 1) After checking out a project from a repository, NetBeans complains
> about reference problems. Fair enough, but building the project does not
> make the warning go away. I have to explicitly open the "Resolve
> Reference Problems..." dialog and click Close - there is nothing to
> resolve anymore - to calm NetBeans.

Touching the build.xml, project.xml and/or project.properties probably
helps.

> 2) When managing dependencies manually, I can point to javadoc and
> sources as well, which comes in handy when developing. How to get this
> feature using Ivy? By manipulating project.properties?

I don't know about the NetBeans Ivy module (which unfortunately was
never quite ready for prime-time, IMO), but with a free-form project
it should be possible to to define properties like

    javadoc.reference.mydependency.jar=/path/to/javadoc
    source.reference.mydependency.jar=/path/to/source

(these are the properties that are generated into project.properties
by the Project Properties dialog when defining javadoc and source
paths for library jars) and include them into the project.xml.
See http://netbeans.org/kb/articles/freeform-config.html#props_proj.
Of course you'll want a "resolve" Ant target in your build.xml that
automatically generates those properties after resolving.

> 3) My project.properties keeps on changing. I have to commit or revert
> it after every build.

So don't put them into version control. ;)
Seriously, I suspect that you need to go the free-form project route.
Then you can separate "transient" properties from "permanent"
properties that need to go into version control.

At my shop we've been working on an Ant-based and largely
IDE-independent build script infrastructure that plays nice with both
Eclipse and NetBeans (using a free-form project setup for the latter),
but it's been put on hold for the moment.

Keep us posted on how it works out for you.

-- Niklas Matthies