ant-ivy-user mailing list archives

From Mitch Gitman <mgit...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Preferred local repository?
Date Mon, 21 Dec 2009 15:14:45 GMT
Andreas, just to get the terminology straight, there are really three broad
categories of repository:
* local
* shared/enterprise
* public

The term "local" in this context refers to a location on the
developer/tool/client's own machine. I think you're using the word "local"
to talk about shared repositories.

The default Ivy settings that gets used if you don't specify one uses a
combination of all three above, although the default shared one is a dummy
repo since it just points to a local location. So really, for all practical
purposes, you want to specify your own Ivy settings.

For truly local Ivy repos, filesystem is the resolver/protocol that you will
almost always use.

For shared repos, there are all kinds of valid combinations. The most common
I can think of:
* filesystem (perhaps a Samba shared on NAS mount)
* HTTP with SFTP for publishing (or even filesystem for publishing)
* have Subversion double as your Ivy repo

I believe there are teams who are using something like Artifactory or Nexus
as their shared Ivy repository.