ant-ivy-user mailing list archives

From Philipp Wetzler <phwetz...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: relocation of transitive dependency
Date Wed, 16 Dec 2009 19:57:54 GMT
All right, I've been running more experiments and I think I have narrowed
down the problem significantly. I'm attaching a pared down ivy.xml,
ivysettings.xml, build.xml, and the problematic pom file. I'm also attaching
the output of "resolve" for 4 representative experiments which I ran using a
local filesystem repository to hold the simplified cleartk-test-util pom.
These experiments are:

1) My project (in ivy.xml) depends only on the pared down cleartk-test-util,
which only depends on jdom:jdom:1.1. The resolve here FAILS, because it
can't find the artifact for jdom:jdom:1.1 (instead of looking for it under
org.jdom:jdom:1.1).

2) Same as 1, but I removed line 37 (<type>jar</type>, which I believe
should be ignored anyway since that's the default value). The resolve here
ends in SUCCESS, and the cleartk-test-util and jdom artifacts are resolved.

3) Ignoring cleartk-test-util, my project depends only on jdom:jdom:1.1. The
resolve succeeds, Ivy correctly looks for the artifact under
org.jdom:jdom:1.1. The jdom artifact is resolved.

4) Same as 3, but instead of jdom:jdom:1.1 my project now depends on
org.jdom:jdom:1.1. As expected, the resolve succeeds, Ivy finds the jdom
artifact under org.jdom:jdom:1.1. But only in this experiment does Ivy also
resolve the dependencies of jdom (xercesImpl, xmlParserAPIs, jaxen-core,
jaxen-jdom, saxpath, xalan). This is what should happen in all 4
experiments.

It seems to me that two things are going wrong here:

First, when <type>jar</type> is specified in the pom of the direct
dependency, relocation isn't properly handled in the transitive dependency.

Second, whenever a relocation pointer is followed during resolution, the
dependencies of the relocated dependency are ignored.

All of the experiments were run after deleting ~/.ivy2/cache/*, and using
the snapshot version of Ivy that I downloaded yesterday.

Philipp