ant-ivy-user mailing list archives

From Philipp Wetzler <phwetz...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: relocation of transitive dependency
Date Wed, 16 Dec 2009 00:50:56 GMT
On Tue, Dec 15, 2009 at 4:55 PM, Maarten Coene <maarten_coene@yahoo.com>wrote:

> I don't have a problem when I add a dependency on this cleartk-test-util
> module.
>
> What version of Ivy are you using?
> If you are using the latest released version, could you try again with a
> snapshot build?
> You can download snapshot builds here:
> http://hudson.zones.apache.org/hudson/view/Ant/job/Ivy/

Sorry for the delay. I've been experimenting with various different setups.
I did download and install the most recent snapshot (2.2.0.20091208210308),
and between every resolve I deleted the Ivy cache.

First of all, after trying to trim down my ivysettings.xml I realized that I
had been using a slightly different version of the pom, which was being
pulled from a local repository. Unfortunately that version of the pom was
deleted during my experiments, so I don't have it anymore. Using the online
version of the pom the resolve worked.

One difference in the pom files was that, in addition to specifying the
groupId, artifactId and version elements for jdom, the local copy also
understand it are simply the default values. Strangely, when I removed these
extra elements (no other change) the resolve worked as it should, properly
handling the relocation.

On the other hand, if I copy the pom that's online to the local repository
and _add_ those extra elements, the resolve still works fine, so there must
be something else....

I realize this is not exactly helpful. At this point, without the original
problematic pom, I haven't been able to reproduce this error anymore, but it
might show up again with other packages. From a user's perspective, it would
be nice to have a better way of diagnosing such dependency issues, for
example seeing which transitive dependencies are added and why. If there's a
way to do that, I haven't been able to find it in the documentation.

I'll be experimenting more with this tomorrow and will let you know if the
problem shows up again. Thanks a lot for your help so far!

Philipp