ant-ivy-user mailing list archives

From "Jeff Sinclair" <j...@cooljeff.co.uk>
Subject Re: size of ivy report files
Date Tue, 22 Dec 2009 19:12:15 GMT
We had the same problem, the largest html file was 49MB. We have 20+ projects in one CI build.
The ivy reports were over 100MB. Like yourself we found the report step taking too much time.

We turned the ivy reporting off completely in CI because normally your dependencies do not
change often enough to warrant the cost associated with ivy reports. What we do is have a
separate task to generate the reports. We keep the source for the build around for 24 hours
so if there is an issue where the report would add value we just manually kick off the report
target.

The only time we really generate the report is for full release builds.

Hope that helps.

Jeff

----- Reply message -----
From: "Michael Feinberg" <mfeinberg@convexitycapital.com>
Date: Mon, Dec 21, 2009 20:08
Subject: size of ivy report files
To: <ivy-user@ant.apache.org>

Ivy reports are great and prove extremely valuable when time comes to troubleshoot the dependencies.
However, we found that it takes quite a bit of time to generate them - we are seeing 15 to
20 seconds for a single configuration's html report. And then there is size: a 160K xml file
turns into 40+M html. All of this puts (cpu+space) strain on the CI system and we ended up
commenting the reporting part out of our build scripts.

So my questions are: 1) had anyone seen this and how did you work around it? 2) if i only
generate the xml report, how do i turn it into html at some later time? it is probably a "duh"
question, but i did not see any way to pass the xml input to the "report" ant task so that
it could generate the html and graph files for me.

we are running ivy 2.0.0 on jdk5;
thank you.
This e-mail message is intended only for the named recipients above and contains confidential
information.  If you are not an intended recipient, please immediately notify the sender by
replying to this e-mail and delete the message and any attachment(s) from your system.  Any
unauthorized use or dissemination of this message in whole or in part is strictly prohibited.