ant-ivy-user mailing list archives

From Mitch Gitman <mgit...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Using Ivy to automate build
Date Tue, 24 Nov 2009 17:30:07 GMT
Jonathan, there's one statement from you that doesn't make sense:
"...however in this particular case I need to build without access to the
artefact [sic] repository."

Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you mean, but you can't really use Ivy to
build if you're not accessing an Ivy repository.

I can attest that my team has had success using *ivy:buildlist *to do
multimodule builds. Part of the deal, though, is that you still have to tell
Ivy what it needs to know. Each module is responsible for doing an *ivy:publish
*during its turn in the multimodule build--after doing whatever arbitrary
work it was asked to do in the first place.

Also, there are times when the proper build order cannot be determined
simply by looking at the existing Ivy confs. For example, there may be a
project that does some deployment work. Other projects downstream don't
depend on its library being in the classpath (maybe it doesn't even publish
a JAR), but they do depend on its having done its work by then. (In a normal
situation, I would argue against having such relationships, but play with
me.) In this case, you may want to add a special Ivy conf--call it
"buildlist"--whose job is strictly to help establish build order. So you
get:
<dependency org="..." name="..." rev="..." conf="buildlist->..." />

But whether a special "buildlist" conf is needed or not, I can attest
that *ivy:buildlist
*does manage to divine the correct build order from each project's ivy.xml.