ant-ivy-user mailing list archives

From Jonathan Oulds <jonat...@sbdev.net>
Subject Re: Using Ivy to automate build
Date Mon, 30 Nov 2009 16:25:45 GMT
Dear all,

Thank you for your input to my question.  It seems to me that
ivy:buildlist will not generate a different build order dependant on the
configuration and having read the comment from Mitch

<quote>
Also, I would dispute one assumption you make in response to Alex:
"however, why should I have to worry about building MacOsX+Release when
I just want to test my Win32 build i.e. (Win32+Test)."

I would argue that you want a multimodule build to build every project,
even if you only want a particular path through the projects. This way
you know that your full system is published and ready to use regardless
of the conf desired. The only advantage to only building a slice of your
projects is saving time. But really, the last thing a multimodule build
"from scratch" should be about is saving time.
</quote>

That is the correct way to use it and to be honest, having thought about
it a bit more, I agree.  The apparent "issue" with ivy:buildlist was not
a real issue at all, but merely highlighted a fault with the way our
project was organised.

Thank you all again.
Jonathan