ant-ivy-user mailing list archives

From "Glidden, Douglass A" <Douglass.A.Glid...@boeing.com>
Subject RE: dynamic revision and determine the most recent
Date Wed, 21 Oct 2009 14:49:00 GMT
I'm confused-doesn't a SNAPSHOT revision get converted to a timestamp on publish?  I have never
used SNAPSHOT versioning, so perhaps my understanding is incorrect.

In this scenario, I think it's pretty likely that D1's version of Module B will fail to compile
regardless of which version of Module A gets downloaded-it will not compile using the version
from the local repository because D2's changes are missing, and most likely it will not compile
using the version from the shared repository because D1's changes are missing.  If it does
happen to compile anyway (because D1 hasn't made any changes in Module B that rely on his
own changes in Module A), that could be a significantly worse problem, because D1 may not
realize that his changes from Module A have not been incorporated.  The bottom line is, anytime
two developers make simultaneous changes, one of them is going to have to merge the changes
and republish at some point in time; it's just a matter of how soon it has to be done.

However, as Niklas has correctly pointed out, you should be able (with a few caveats) to get
what you're looking for by using the "latest-time" latest strategy instead of the default
latest strategy ("latest-revision").

(As an aside, my personal opinion is that if you have a developer sitting with uncommitted
changes on his local machine for 20 days, your team has bigger things to worry about than
not getting the right version of a snapshot; that's just my opinion, though, and may or may
not be relevant.)

Doug Glidden
Software Engineer
The Boeing Company