ant-ivy-user mailing list archives

From "Keith Hatton" <keith.hat...@publishingtechnology.com>
Subject Dynamic revisions using rev="latest.integration" and latest-strategies
Date Mon, 12 Oct 2009 16:22:40 GMT
Hi all,

I am new to Ivy, so maybe I am missing something or my understanding is not
quite right. Hopefully someone will be able to point me in the right
direction.

I have Ivy working fine when dependencies are all defined as fixed
revisions. But I'm not getting the expected result when I change to use a
dynamic revision.

In my project's ivy.xml I define a dependency:
    <dependency org="[myorg]" name="[mydep]" rev="latest.integration"
conf="[myconf]->[otherconf]"/>

The ivy repository contains 3 revisions of the [mydep] artifacts. In
increasing order of timestamps, they are:
    1.0.1 (status = "release")
    1.0.2 (status = "integration")
    latest (status = "integration")

If I change my project's dependency to be on "latest.release", I see from
the Ant/Ivy output that 1.0.2 is correctly rejected because its status is
integration, and 1.0.1 is used.
But when I use "latest.integration", I see no evidence that Ivy has even
considered the "latest" version. It only looks at 1.0.2.

(Fragment of ant -debug output:)

[ivy:retrieve]  using local-sandbox to list all in [blah]
[ivy:retrieve]          found 3 resources
[ivy:retrieve]  found revs: [1.0.1, 1.0.2, latest]
[ivy:retrieve]  local-sandbox: found md file for
[myorg]#[mydep];latest.integration
[ivy:retrieve]          => [blah]\1.0.2\ivys\ivy.xml (1.0.2)

If I remove 1.0.2, so that the choice is between "latest" and 1.0.1, Ivy
picks 1.0.1. If I remove all the numbered versions from the repository so
that "latest" is the only one available, Ivy is quite happy to work with
that, so I guess it must be something in the way Ivy chooses which of the
available revisions to use.

My ivysettings.xml contains the following, which I had hoped would ensure
that the most recent build would always be favoured:
   <latest-strategies>
      <latest-time/>
   </latest-strategies>

Rationale: I am trying to avoid having any version "number" in the latest
build, because I feel it is quite error prone, so prefer something that is
distinct from the release numbering.

I'm using Ivy 2.1.0-rc2.

Thanks for any suggestions,
Keith

<file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/khatton/Application%20Data/Microsoft/
Signatures/www.publishingtechnology.com> www.publishingtechnology.com

Publishing Technology plc is registered in England No. 837205.

Registered Office: Unipart House, Garsington Road, Oxford OX4 2GQ