ant-ivy-user mailing list archives

From "Kelly Dolan" <kdo...@inmedius.com>
Subject Tracking Dependencies for Releases Question
Date Fri, 02 Oct 2009 13:47:07 GMT
Please accept my apologies if this is not the intended use of the ivy-user
email address.  I'm trying to figure something out and not having much luck
putting things together myself, I'm looking for help.

In standard version control management, when you release a product, you want
to know everything you used to build the product + versions used.

Our development group uses ivy to manage 3rd party and internally generated
libraries our products are dependent on.  In many cases, the dependencies in
the ivy.xml file set "ref" to be "latest.integration".

If a product itself has artifacts it needs to publish, at the time of
release, we'll publish the artifacts and in the ivy repository there will be
a version of ivy.xml that for each dependency has "ref" values that reflect
the actual version used for the 3rd party / internal lib.

If a product does not have artifacts, we don't have anything to publish and
therefore don't get an ivy.xml that records the versions of each dependency
used.  I guess we could manually make a copy of ivy.xml and go through each
dependency and record what versions were used but we'd really like to
automate it.

Does anyone know how to do this? Are we going about this the wrong way?
We're relatively new to ivy. If you provide a suggestion, please be specific
or include a link to the ivy documentation that shows us what do.

Thanks and much appreciated!
Kelly