ant-ivy-user mailing list archives

From Mitch Gitman <mgit...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Use of the "branch" attribute with "info" tag
Date Mon, 26 Oct 2009 15:26:32 GMT
Gareth, let me speak as someone who does not have experience using Ivy-based
branching because I have experience considering it and then thinking better
of it for my particular needs. I can tell you, branching is a really
sophisticated feature that demands the right use case.

If you don't have a serious dealbreaker or pain point with just
incorporating the branch name into the revision name, then that really
obviates Ivy-based branching. Using revision names like 3.0_alpha1 (where
alpha1 is your branch name) in a release repository is really an alternative
to Ivy-based branching.

The selling point of Ivy-based branching is that it gives a way for a
dependent ivy.xml to remain the same even when the branch of the dependency
changes. You just change the branch in the ivysettings.xml, and you don't
have to recursively edit a whole hierarchy of dependent ivy.xml files.

Note I said that you change the branch in your Ivy settings. This feature
only works in concert with specifying a branch in Ivy settings. The Ivy
settings might specify a pattern like
[organisation]/[module]/[branch]/[revision]/ivy.xml
or [organisation]/[module]/[branch]-[revision]/ivy.xml, or even reversing
the order of [branch] and [revision].

Someone feel free to correct a detail here. It should be apparent that this
is a topic I'm not entirely comfortable with. It's probably fair to say also
that branching is by and large a piece of unexplored terrain in the Ivy
feature set.