ant-ivy-user mailing list archives

From Douglas Bullard <dbull...@nurflugel.com>
Subject Re: Ivy Tools Suite now available!
Date Tue, 13 Oct 2009 04:33:23 GMT
I’m not sure this would be a good fit, for a couple of reasons…

These are all designed to be client apps to help manage a vanilla
repository, whereas archiva would be a server-based solution.  Given
that at my company, getting anything installed on the server requires
umpteen approvals takes forever, the client side tools don’t, so
it’s more flexible in my setup.  Archiva also doesn’t really deal
with your project’s information, which the Grapher app does nicely.

Even though it’s client-based, the Browser (the slowest of the tools,
because it has to parse the entire repository) is still pretty quick -
10-15 seconds to parse a large repository.  Plus, you get the snappy
client tool response, which you never get in a server-based
application (unless it’s in GWT or something).

I’ve thought about hooking the Grapher up into the Browser, that
shouldn’t be too hard (just replace your project’s ivy.xml file
with the library in question)…

The biggest drawback with my setup is the requirement for the graphing
stuff that GraphViz be installed on the client system.  But, if people
want the pretty pictures, that’s usually not an issue ☺

Thanks for the feedback - I’ve already received a few feature
requests (like tying the Grapher into the Browser), and a couple of
bug reports.

Douglas Bullard