ant-ivy-user mailing list archives

From Stephen Haberman <step...@exigencecorp.com>
Subject Re: sources as conf or type
Date Fri, 30 Oct 2009 03:43:38 GMT

Niklas Matthies-2 wrote:

> If types were hierarchical nodes in a category graph, and a mapping
> mechanism would be provided like for confs, then I would agree with
> you. Types would be almost like a second type of confs then. Which I
> think would be very useful.

Hm...true, types are flat and non-mappable.

For me living mostly in a java/ibiblio world, the "all binaries" super type
isn't a problem--since I haven't used ivy for non-java projects, I don't
know how often the "any binary type even if I don't know about it ahead of
time" thing would come up. Though I understand the gist of it.

Niklas Matthies-2 wrote:

>> Where I'll get the jetty source but not the jetty-util source
>> because they forgot the "sources->sources(*)" mapping.
>
> Luckily there's dual resolvers. ;)
> Yes, it's not ideal, but at least you *can* do something about it that
> way.

Hehe, okay, technically yes, but yuck. The pom->ivy translation works well
enough for me that I'd prefer to not maintain other projects' ivy files by
hand just because of the non-transitive source.

Which I talked myself into it being a bug:

- Stephen