ant-ivy-user mailing list archives

From Joshua Tharp <joshua-th...@alumni.calpoly.edu>
Subject Re: Is there a real(!) advantage of Ivy over placing the depends in the VCS
Date Thu, 10 Sep 2009 12:26:02 GMT
I think the assumption you are making is that your project will only use
public repositories. Personally, I have built a repository on one of my
development servers and have populated it with our dependencies. We can
maintain that repository for as long as is necessary.

As for source managing the dependencies, I used to do that as well. The
biggest change/advantage is that you can checkout a module much faster if
the jars are downloaded (and cached) separately from the source. Otherwise,
if you were using a vcs other than Subversion, you may have difficulties
efficiently storing binary data (ClearCase for example didn't do binary
diffs when I used it, so complete copies of binary files were stored).

Josh