ant-ivy-user mailing list archives

From Hans Dockter <m...@dockter.biz>
Subject Re: Ivy Performance
Date Thu, 03 Sep 2009 16:02:56 GMT

On Sep 3, 2009, at 4:40 PM, Carlton Brown wrote:

> The resolve task actually fetches artifacts into the local cache, so
> you
> would expect subsequent resolves of the same configuration to be much
> faster (likewise with extended configurations, if they are not too
> disjoint from the base configuration).
>
> If you observe that subsequent resolves don't benefit from previous
> ones, it sounds as if you're somehow circumventing the cache
> mechanism... perhaps defeating its effectiveness by setting the
> useOrigin attribute, using a TTL, cleaning the cache between each
> resolve, or using a distinct cache for each resolve.   None of these
> behaviors are enabled by default.
>
> I'd check the state of the cache after each resolve... if it isn't
> getting populated with artifacts, or if it's getting wiped entirely,
> there's your problem.

Thanks for your reply. I should have mentioned that all artifacts are
in the cache and are retrieved from the cache. But a resolve from a
cache also easily takes more than a second. In the case of a second
Ant Ivy resolve this number shrinks in our examples to something like
200ms. Therefore I was wondering what optimization is taking place
here and how to use this for our build system.

- Hans

--
Hans Dockter
Gradle Project Manager