ant-ivy-user mailing list archives

From Brian Matzon <mat...@certus.dk>
Subject Many modules, Many versions
Date Wed, 30 Sep 2009 07:46:03 GMT
Hi

We have a system running which has a fair amount of packages. Each
package is placed in a shared repo once its build from our CI. Our CI
build every time someone commits.
This of course yields a fair amount of packages - which in itself is not
a problem.

However, when a new package is build, it may be build with a newer
version of its dependencies, whereas another package is still using the
old version of the same dependency.
for example:

A:1.0.0 = (B:1.0.0 & C:1.0.0)
D:1.0.1 = (B:1.0.1 & C:1.0.0)
E = (A:1.0.0 & D:1.0.1)

This will of course mean that we have conflict as we have B in 1.0.0 and
1.0.1 when building E.
Since we cannot force E to use B in 1.0.1 (as this may cause problems
for A), we are currently forced to validate that A works with B:1.0.1
and then create a new A:1.0.1 which has the same dependency versions of D.

This makes sense in many ways - however when you have a lot of packages
this gets a bit messy (and tiresome).
I am thinking about creating a full-build target in our CI that will
update all packages to use all the latest (it just need to build in a
specific order).

But I was wondering if A) I am doing something wrong, B) there are
smarter ways to cope with this

/matzon

The content of this e-mail, together with any of its attachments, is for the exclusive and
confidential use of the named addressee(s) and it may contain legally privileged and confidential
information and/or copyrighted material. Any other distribution, use or reproduction without
the sender's prior consent is unauthorized and strictly prohibited. If you have by coincidence,
mistake or without specific authorization received this e-mail in error, please notify the
sender by e-mail immediately, uphold strict confidentiality and neither read, copy, transfer,
disseminate, disclose nor otherwise make use of its content in any way and delete the material
from your computer.

The content of the e-mail and its attachments is the liability of the individual sender, if
it does not relate to the affairs of Betware.
Betware does not assume any civil or criminal liability should the e-mail or it´s attachments
be virus infected.