ant-ivy-user mailing list archives

From Johannes Stamminger <>
Subject Re: Is there a real(!) advantage of Ivy over placing the depends in the VCS
Date Fri, 11 Sep 2009 08:41:10 GMT

just my 2 cents: we use both, a local VCS and ivy in combination.

The VCS we use to "control" the appearing (and disappearing) of libraries. All
developers sync the libs to their local disk/development environment with VCS

The ivy is a great help for us for dependencies resolution and reporting (the
latter is even more important). We make heavy re-use of self developed
components in an increasing number of projects and it became some time in the
past impossible to handle all the transitive dependencies (Project level -> 2
levels of self developed components -> varying levels/complexity of "public"
libraries; with both, projects and components most often existing in more
than one branch, development and at least one maintenance branch).

The ivy just searches the local VCS directory for the needed libraries (no
public repository is used).
We do not use any further cache but use cachepath and cachefileset with
use-origin=true in our ant scripts as the libs are local already (for
cachefileset we had to patch ivy to support it by introducing an additional
originRoot attribute). Only for deployment they get copied then (based on the

Sounds a little different from what I have read so far on this thread.

Best regards,

This email (including any attachments) may contain confidential and/or privileged information
or information otherwise protected from disclosure. If you are not the intended recipient,
please notify the sender immediately, do not copy this message or any attachments and do not
use it for any purpose or disclose its content to any person, but delete this message and
any attachments from your system. Astrium disclaims any and all liability if this email transmission
was virus corrupted, altered or falsified.
Astrium GmbH Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrates: Thomas Mueller - Geschaeftsfuehrung: Evert Dudok
(Vorsitzender), Dr. Reinhold Lutz, Guenter Stamerjohanns, Josef Stukenborg
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Muenchen - Registergericht: Amtsgericht Muenchen, HRB Nr. 107 647

Weitere Informationen ueber EADS Astrium @

View raw message