ant-ivy-user mailing list archives

From vboss...@scdi.org
Subject Re: Is there a real(!) advantage of Ivy over placing the depends in the VCS
Date Fri, 11 Sep 2009 09:19:31 GMT
Sebastian,

> recently someone recommended Ivy to me because he saw that we were hosting
> our project dependencies in our Subversion repository.

When I see axis.jar in a VCS system, I always ask the question: "do
you know which version it is?".  If you're serious about managing the
3rd party libraries, you should be able to answer the question
precisely.

You want to upgrade a library from 1.0 to 2.0: how do you remove all
transitive dependencies from the 1.0 version?  This may not be an
issue if you have 3-4 jars to manage, but our application has about
100 direct and indirect dependencies.

You want to test a new version of that library first: you can to it by
changing just one line in the ivy.xml file and test locally.  The
upgrade doesn't work: just revert your single change.

> However I see a major disadvantage over dependencies in a VCS repository: If
> a project is dormant for a longer period of time an artifact (i.e. a
> library) may longer be available (in a certain, required version or the
> repository may not exist anymore).

If you download all your dependencies from a Maven repository (check
the ivyroundup project on googlecode) you are immune to that problem
(as long as the library is available on that repo; but it's Maven's
point).

Hope this help

-Vladimir