ant-ivy-user mailing list archives

From Tom Widmer <tom.wid...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: Shared repository and configurations question
Date Fri, 07 Aug 2009 11:21:22 GMT
Nappin, Chris (IT Services) wrote:
> Hi,
>
>   I'm currently evaluating ivy and have a question about shared
> repositories and configurations.
>
> I've created a simple shared repository intended to be used by a number
> of in-house projects. This contains hand-written ivy module dependency
> files for each artifact. Each project has a different set of
> configurations.

It's generally a good idea to have a fairly standard set of
configurations (you can include them from a standard file using the
<include> element). You can always add additional module specific ones
if required.

> I would like each of the artifacts to be usable by all projects and all
> configurations, without having to add a list of all project
> configurations to every module dependency file in the shared repository.
> My repository shouldn't have to know about every project that is going
> to use it. Is this possible, and if so how?

You don't need to have a particular configuration name in your module in
order to use artifacts from that configuration name in another module. e.g.

Other module:
confs = foo, bar

Your module:

confs = baz

<dependency org="yours" name="Other module" rev="whatever" conf="baz->foo"/>

That means your baz conf depends on the foo conf from the other module.

Did that answer your question - I may have misunderstood? Configuration
mapping in dependencies allows you to express complex relationships
between confs in the source module and those in the dependency module.
See
http://ant.apache.org/ivy/history/latest-milestone/ivyfile/dependency.html

Tom