ant-ivy-user mailing list archives

From "Ben Piper" <b...@fal.co.nz>
Subject How to get sources for transitive dependencies with IvyDE
Date Wed, 12 Aug 2009 05:46:52 GMT
Hi all,

I'm using these Eclipse plug-in versions:

Apache Ivy	      2.1.0.cr2_20090704004254
Apache IvyDE	2.0.0.final-200907011148-RELEASE

and I'm wondering if it's possible to get sources for transitive
dependencies without having to declare them explicitly.  It seems that
because ivy.xml files generated from Maven 2 pom.xml's don't include
sources in the list of confs for transitive dependencies, there's no way
I can indirectly ask for them.  Or is there some specific way of
specifying the conf attribute (or some other attribute) for a parent
dependency so that it will force the sources conf on those transitive
dependencies?

Obviously if I sneakily add a sources->sources(*) entry for a given
transitive dependency to the parent dependency's ivy.xml file in my
local cache, IvyDE will end up retrieving the sources JAR for that
transitive dependency (assume it exists in this case), but that's not a
solution, and I wonder if Ivy shouldn't be doing that (and adding one
for javadoc) by default? Although I suppose it can't guarantee that
source and javadoc artifacts actually exist, which I assume would cause
a resolve error (even though the parent artifact may have a
source/javadoc artifact).  Perhaps I've answered my own question.

It's not a major issue for me, but I'd like to avoid explicitly
declaring transitive dependencies just to get their source artifacts if
at all possible.

Thanks,

Ben