ant-ivy-user mailing list archives

From Matt Benson <gudnabr...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Ivy and jar references in applets/jnlp, etc.
Date Fri, 21 Aug 2009 16:24:09 GMT

--- On Fri, 8/21/09, Dave Brosius <dbrosius@mebigfatguy.com> wrote:

> From: Dave Brosius <dbrosius@mebigfatguy.com>
> Subject: Ivy and jar references in applets/jnlp, etc.
> To: ivy-user@ant.apache.org
> Date: Friday, August 21, 2009, 11:09 AM
> Greetings,
>
>     I work on a big legacy ant project that has
> jars checked in to source control. I am investigating what
> it would take to stop doing that, and looking at ivy. The
> switch over to use ivy seems pretty trivial, although
> perhaps time consuming given the size of the project. But
> here's a question that hopefully others have thought about -
> resolved.
>
>     We have more than a few <applet
> tag>/<jnlp>'s etc that reference jar files by name.
> In the past we just checked in jar files without version
> numbers so for instance, we had commons-lang.jar, and when a
> new version came out, we just updated this jar in source
> control, again, by stripping the version number from the jar
> file name.
>
> Now when moving to maven or ivy, this seems more
> problematic. Perhaps i'm not seeing the correct solution,
> but ivy uses version number'ed names as gotten from the
> repo, and so anytime we want to upgrade our jar versions,
> we've got to go looking for all the references to them in
> <archive> tags, or jnlp files, or who knows where
> else. The chances are high that we will forget to update
> references some where.
>
> What is the preferred solution for this? I really don't
> want to have to do that any time we upgrade jar files.

Dave,
  I don't have any specific experience with this requirement, but I would plan to generate
those files from templates and look into the various tasks Ivy provides to get the actual
name of the artifact associated with a particular org/module in the dependencies of your resolved
project.  It might be a large task:  e.g. you might find yourself parsing xml generated by
the ivy:artifactreport task, or something equally time-consuming... but IMHO a worthwhile
investment were I in your position.

"Why spend five minutes doing what you can spend five years of your life automating?" - Terence
Parr, Ph.D.

-Matt