ant-ivy-user mailing list archives

From Shawn Castrianni <Shawn.Castria...@halliburton.com>
Subject RE: Ivy feedback mechanisms for spawning builds...
Date Fri, 07 Aug 2009 17:41:17 GMT
I think what is being asked is how to enhance the CI system so that not only does it detect
changes to the SCM system (which would obviously require a rebuild), but to also detect changes
in that module's dependencies in the repository since a change in a dependency should also
require a rebuild.  So what methods or best practices have been developed to have a CI system
check if a module's dependencies have changed since last time it was built to cause a rebuild?

This might be more of a "pull" technique.  The "push" technique might be more of what was
already stated in this thread of having an extra step at the end of a build to automatically
trigger any other module that has a dependency on the module just built.

---
Shawn Castrianni

-----Original Message-----
From: Mitch Gitman [mailto:mgitman@gmail.com]
Sent: Friday, August 07, 2009 11:53 AM
To: ivy-user@ant.apache.org
Subject: Re: Ivy feedback mechanisms for spawning builds...

OK, I understand what's going on now. One thing to keep in mind is the
distinction between upstream/dependency projects and downstream/dependent
projects. Obviously, an ivy.xml tells you only about its dependencies. My
understanding, though, (and I could be wrong about this) is that the Hudson
Ivy plugin is able to figure out the downstream path. I'd asked about as
much in this thread and got an affirmative:
http://www.nabble.com/trying-to-configure-the-Hudson-Ivy-plugin-td22530817.html

Frankly, I haven't found much value in having a plugin automatically figure
out which projects to build once one project has built. I've been fine to do
that manually. But I recognize some people may find value in that.

and delete all copies of this message.