ant-ivy-user mailing list archives

From "Dave Brosius" <dbros...@mebigfatguy.com>
Subject Ivy and jar references in applets/jnlp, etc.
Date Fri, 21 Aug 2009 16:09:46 GMT
Greetings,

    I work on a big legacy ant project that has jars checked in to source control. I am investigating
what it would take to stop doing that, and looking at ivy. The switch over to use ivy seems
pretty trivial, although perhaps time consuming given the size of the project. But here's
a question that hopefully others have thought about - resolved.

    We have more than a few <applet tag>/<jnlp>'s etc that reference jar files
by name. In the past we just checked in jar files without version numbers so for instance,
we had commons-lang.jar, and when a new version came out, we just updated this jar in source
control, again, by stripping the version number from the jar file name.

Now when moving to maven or ivy, this seems more problematic. Perhaps i'm not seeing the correct
solution, but ivy uses version number'ed names as gotten from the repo, and so anytime we
want to upgrade our jar versions, we've got to go looking for all the references to them in
<archive> tags, or jnlp files, or who knows where else. The chances are high that we
will forget to update references some where.

What is the preferred solution for this? I really don't want to have to do that any time we
upgrade jar files.