ant-ivy-user mailing list archives

From Nicolas Lalevée <nicolas.lale...@hibnet.org>
Subject Re: [ANNOUNCE] Apache IvyDE 2.0.0-final released
Date Wed, 15 Jul 2009 07:33:05 GMT

On Tue, 14 Jul 2009 20:54:22 -0700, Mitch Gitman <mgitman@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm trying to understand the use case for the "Resolve in workspace"
> feature. Let me take a guess at a use case and illustrate what I do now
> without this feature, and perhaps Nicolas or someone else can fill in how
> this feature could be an alternative, or whether I'm completely
off-track.

> Let's say I have two projects that correspond to Ivy modules:
>
>    - superlibrary
>    - superwebapp: has an Ivy dependency on superlibrary
>
> And let's say I'm working on both projects within Eclipse. I want
> superwebapp to pick up the changes I'm making to superlibrary without my
> having to republish superlibrary to the Ivy repository. With superwebapp
> selected in Eclipse, I would go to Project-->Properties-->Java Build
> Path-->Projects tab, hit the Add button, and select superlibrary. Then I
> would go to the Order and Export tab and make sure that superlibrary
> appears
> above the IvyDE classpath container.
>
> Is the "Resolve in workspace" feature intended to provide an alternative
> this procedure, or is there another use case? When it comes to IvyDE's
> involvement, what value is there in the superwebapp Eclipse project
> knowing
> about superlibrary being there in the Eclipse workspace as opposed to
just
> knowing about superlibrary through IvyDE's being able to locate the Ivy
> dependency in the repository?

As the superwebapp has a dependency on superlibrary, the resolve process is
extected to find an artifact of superlibrary in some repository. If you use
the workspace resolver, the superlibrary don't have to be resolved in a
real repository as it will be find in IvyDE's one. So you don't have to do
any publication of superlibrary before starting to resolve correctly
superwebapp. This is especially true for new projects.

Another thing in the setup you are suggesting is that the classpath in your
superwebapp will have a duplicate entry of superlibrary, the resolved jar
and the project. So as you described you will have to be careful about
ordering the classpath.

Last but not least, in the resolve process you are using, the ivy.xml of
superlibrary used in the resolve process of superwebapp is the last one you
published in a repository. The workspace resolver is using the one in your
workspace. So if you update a dependency of superlibrary, it won't be
visible to superwebapp unless you republish superlibrary, or unless you use
the workspace resolver ;)

So the resolve in workspace feature is not far from the setup you are
using, it is more automatic and less error prone.

Nicolas