ant-ivy-user mailing list archives

From Alex Zhukov <alekse...@hotmail.com>
Subject RE: Multi-module dependency configuration
Date Fri, 10 Jul 2009 16:19:33 GMT

Gareth,

>>>I'm sure that what I'm trying to achieve is
incredibly simple, but …

Well, I agree it should be incredibly simple, but it is not. :)

I was facing the similar problem and that is how I solved it.

First of all, all my ivy files have configurations as follow:

  <configurations>

    <conf name='default' description='Default configuration
used when nothing is specified'/>

    <conf name='deploy' extends='default' description='Deps
which are available in the build classpath.'/>

    <conf name='compile' extends='deploy'
description='Compile time deps, including deploy deps.'/>

    <conf name='run' extends='deploy' description='Dependencies
required at runtime, including deploy.'/>

    <conf name='test' extends='default' description='Test
deps are only available in the test classpath.'/>

  </configurations>

as you can see I have separated configurations for deps for run time, test, compile
and deploy. Having that, I can define the dependencies how I want. Most of the
time I use 'deploy' configuration for my deps, but if I need to specify an
artifact that I need for the compilation but do not need to include it into war
file, I use 'compile' configuration and vice versa if I need an artifact to be
included into war, but I do not need it at 'compile' time I define it at 'run'
configuration. I hope you got it. (As for the situation where I need an
artifact for both test and compile time I use ‘default’ configuration)

Now, the interesting part is that how you resolve the artifacts. When I compile
my artifact I use <ivy:resolve conf='compile' ...> <ivy:retrive
conf="compile" ...>, but when I build my war I use <ivy:resolve
conf="run" ...> <ivy:retrive conf="run" ...>.
Again, I hope it makes sense.

This all above works like a charm, but the problem is how you would put things
together at the resolution time. Let’s take for example of A depending on B. ‘A’
may have ‘run’ dependencies, but B may not. When you build (not compile) A’s
war you will not get B’s dependencies artifacts, unless you explicitly define
them with conf=’run’. (I am not may be clear about the exact resolution hurdles and it
is not a point her,
but if you try you will see the problems). So, how to fix that?  :)

And now the trickiest part ever. You should define your
dependency for all modules as:

<dependencies
defaultconfmapping="*->@(default)">

     <dependency …/>