ant-ivy-user mailing list archives

From Mitch Gitman <mgit...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [ANNOUNCE] Apache IvyDE 2.0.0-final released
Date Wed, 15 Jul 2009 03:54:22 GMT
I'm trying to understand the use case for the "Resolve in workspace"
feature. Let me take a guess at a use case and illustrate what I do now
without this feature, and perhaps Nicolas or someone else can fill in how
this feature could be an alternative, or whether I'm completely off-track.

Let's say I have two projects that correspond to Ivy modules:

   - superlibrary
   - superwebapp: has an Ivy dependency on superlibrary

And let's say I'm working on both projects within Eclipse. I want
superwebapp to pick up the changes I'm making to superlibrary without my
having to republish superlibrary to the Ivy repository. With superwebapp
selected in Eclipse, I would go to Project-->Properties-->Java Build
Path-->Projects tab, hit the Add button, and select superlibrary. Then I
would go to the Order and Export tab and make sure that superlibrary appears
above the IvyDE classpath container.

Is the "Resolve in workspace" feature intended to provide an alternative to
this procedure, or is there another use case? When it comes to IvyDE's
involvement, what value is there in the superwebapp Eclipse project knowing
about superlibrary being there in the Eclipse workspace as opposed to just
knowing about superlibrary through IvyDE's being able to locate the Ivy
dependency in the repository?