ant-ivy-user mailing list archives

From Shawn Castrianni <Shawn.Castria...@halliburton.com>
Subject ivy promotion levels?
Date Wed, 29 Jul 2009 05:24:36 GMT
Is there a good description of the promotion level concept generally speaking and then a good
description of how promotion levels and IVY work together?  I can see that IVY statuses are
essentially promotion levels, but I am looking for best practices in implementing them.  For
example, I can see two methods of promoting a module:

1.       change the published ivy.xml status attribute from one level to the next (can use
the xmltask to do this in place within ANT)

2.       set up separate resolvers so that each promotion level has its own top level directory
such that promoting a module from one level to the next is less about ivy statuses but more
about copying modules between different top level directories

I currently have two promotion levels:

development
release

However, I am using #2 method above where I don't use the ivy status attribute but just use
the ivy:install task to transitively copy modules from the development resolver to the release
resolver.

I would like to add two more statuses:

development (build successful)
testing (means all unit tests have passed)
integration (means the final app module has been smoke tested with real world workflows and
passed)
release (RTM)

I am just looking for a general description of this concept and some best practices in its
implementation with IVY.  Thanks for any help.

---
Shawn Castrianni

and delete all copies of this message.