ant-ivy-user mailing list archives

From Shawn Castrianni <Shawn.Castria...@halliburton.com>
Subject RE: multiple artifact confs: wanting AND instead of OR
Date Tue, 28 Jul 2009 05:36:42 GMT
Correct, I didn't mean to imply that configuration grouping would help Garima's problem.  I
was trying to describe what configuration intersections and groupings features provide to
see if Garima really needs what Garima is requesting.  It does sound like intersection on
the artifacts is being requested and I don't think that was implemented with my feature request.
 I asked what is the reason Garima needs intersection on the artifacts and I still don't think
I understand the necessity for it.

I disagree that configuration groupings give you union and not intersection.  Configuration
grouping give you the ability to use wildcard in configuration mappings with intersections.
 Here is an example:

1. Say you have 3 modules A->B->C.
2. Say all three modules have configurations that subdivide each of them based on the grouping
called "platform" where the configurations within the platform grouping can be windows, linux,
or solaris.  The syntax for each of these three modules configuration section would be:

<configurations>
	<conf name="windows" ext:grouping="platform"/>
	<conf name="linux" ext:grouping="platform"/>
	<conf name="solaris" ext:grouping="platform"/>
</configurations>

3. Say that module B also has another grouping called "quality" that subdivides its artifacts
in a different way based on release type where the configurations within the quality grouping
can be release or debug.  The additional syntax of the configurations section or module B
would be:

<configurations>
	<conf name="windows" ext:grouping="platform"/>
	<conf name="linux" ext:grouping="platform"/>
	<conf name="solaris" ext:grouping="platform"/>

	<conf name="release" ext:grouping="quality"/>
	<conf name="debug" ext:grouping="quality"/>
</configurations>

4. Say A has declared a dependency on B to match the platform requested of A but intersected
with the release quality.  That syntax would be:

<dependencies>
	<dependency name="B" rev="latest.integration" conf="*->@+release"/>
</dependencies>

This configuration mapping is read, "Whichever of the three configurations in A that is requested
for resolution, match that to the same named configuration in B and then intersect that with
the release configuration in B.  This keeps us on the same platform as requested in A, but
only gives us the release quality artifacts

5. Now I haven't used the grouping feature yet.  So far this has just used the configuration
intersection feature.  The grouping part comes in handy in the configuration mapping between
B and C.  C does not have the quality grouping configurations release or debug, so the configuration
mapping "*->@" would not work and would yield an error stating that release configuration
does not exist in module C.  So to keep the same platform but throw away the dependence on
the release configuration name for C, the configuration mapping between B and C would be:

<dependencies>
	<dependency name="C" rev="latest.integration" conf="*[grouping=platform]->@;*[grouping=quality]->*"/>
</dependencies>

This was the hardest part for me to understand from the developer who implemented this feature
for me.  This configuration mapping is read, "Whichever of the 3 configurations in the platform
grouping that is requested for resolution, match that to the same named configuration in C
which has these same 3 configuration names AND whichever of the 2 configurations in the quality
grouping that is requested for resolution, match that to all of the configurations in C".
 By matching the quality configurations in B to all configurations in C, the quality configurations
do not have to exist in C.

I realize this is very hard to understand over an email description.  I find this to be very
useful and applicable in many situations.  I have tested this in the latest IVY build and
it works great.

---
Shawn Castrianni