ant-ivy-user mailing list archives

From Gareth Western <gar...@garethwestern.com>
Subject Re: Multi-module dependency configuration
Date Fri, 10 Jul 2009 18:23:28 GMT
Thank you Mitch, Pavel, and Alex for your answers. Based on what
you've all said I don't think I'm actually doing anything wrong, so
it's more likely to be a simple misconfiguration rather than a
misconception as to how Ivy works.

Mitch: I like your suggestion as to how to improve the syntax for the
dependency configuration, and I've updated my ivy files accordingly.

Pavel: yes, the compilation fails, but I misread the compilation
output and it was a different module ("C") which was failing, rather
than "B" in my (oversimplified) example. Correcting the dependency
syntax as Mitch suggested helped me to identify this.

Aleksey: Yes, your situation sounds very similar to mine, although I'm
not using the same commands (e.g. cachefileset rather than
resolve/retrieve). If I don't manage to fix my problems then I'll
probably try to adopt the exact same syntax as you say you're using.

So now the webapp compiles, however the "compile-time-only" jar is
still being brought into the webapp's WEB-INF/lib folder somehow. If I
use Ivy to generate a dependency report, it says that the jar is
required by 3 of the other modules, however in the ivy file for each
of those modules the j2ee.jar is specified with
conf="compile->default":
    <dependency org="j2ee" name="j2ee" rev="1.3.1" conf="compile->default"/>
so I don't see how it could be being involved in the "war"
configuration from the webapp module.

I'm not sure how to explain the whole scenario without attaching all
the files involved (there are 5 modules in total, each with a
build.xml and ivy.xml). Does anyone have any tips for how to track
down exactly what's happening?