ant-ivy-user mailing list archives

From Maarten Coene <maarten_co...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: is ivy dead?
Date Fri, 10 Jul 2009 22:11:46 GMT

Hi Jim,

I understand your frustration. I have the same feeling when I report issues to some commercial
products and never get a response.
But please keep in mind that Ivy is not a commercial product. The developers of Ivy are not
paid by Apache for their work on Ivy. This means we do fix some bugs, commit some new features
when we have some free time to work on it.

I can only speek for myself, but the last couple of months I didn't had much free time left
to work on Ivy. But I'm confident this will improve in the near future...

regards,
Maarten

----- Original Message ----
From: Jim Newsham <jnewsham@referentia.com>
To: ivy-user@ant.apache.org
Sent: Tuesday, July 7, 2009 12:58:48 AM
Subject: Re: is ivy dead?

I share the same frustration.  It seems that bugs which were reported months
ago have no assigned owner, no evaluation, and no activity... regardless of
priority level.  Maybe a more sensitive way of rephrasing the question is:
Is ivy being actively developed and maintained?  What is the development
cycle?  Are maintenance fixes being made to released versions?  How quickly
are bugs evaluated?  How quickly can we expect a major bug to be
fixed/released in a maintenance release?

It's not that I feel a need to draw attention to the particular issues that
I'm experiencing.  I've learned to work around those.  It's for the
community's benefit.

Jim

The issues that I've run into are:  retrieve with "sync" is broken
(IVY-1044); cleancache sometimes does NOT clean the cache (IVY-1080).

On Jun 22, 2009, at 4:50 PM, Alex Zhukov wrote:

> Hello All,
>
> I opened a critical bug http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/
> IVY-1087 on June 2, no reaction from developers. On June 15 I
> increased the priority to Blocker, still no reaction from
> developers. Can some one tell me if ivy project is dead or
> developers are not interested in maintaining it any more?

This is an open source project. Sometimes activity is high, sometimes
not so high. Developers are on holidays or have a stressful time with
their day time project. Whatever.

And obviously, looking at the mailing list you are using, this project
seems to be busy and far from dead. I can understand that it is
sometimes frustrating that an important issue is not fixed. But I
think it is not a nice style to play with the 'Is this project dead?'
phrase to raise attention for an issue. This is mud-slinging. I think
the fact that within the period of three weeks no one has commented on
a certain issue does not justify this at all.