ant-ivy-user mailing list archives

From Tero <tero_t_vaana...@hotmail.com>
Subject Problems resolving dependencies from Spring Module Repository.
Date Thu, 02 Jul 2009 04:18:50 GMT

I have Ivy set up to suck down dependencies from a number of repositories to
my own local one. I am having strange problems dealing with the SpringSource
Enterprise Bundle Repository.

I am using Ivy 2.1.0 RC1.

I have spring repos configured as instructed:

			<url name="com.springsource.repository.bundles.release">
			    <ivy
pattern="http://repository.springsource.com/ivy/bundles/release/[organisation]/[module]/[revision]/[artifact]-[revision].[ext]"
/>
			    <artifact
pattern="http://repository.springsource.com/ivy/bundles/release/[organisation]/[module]/[revision]/[artifact]-[revision].[ext]"
/>
			</url>

			<url name="com.springsource.repository.bundles.external">
			    <ivy
pattern="http://repository.springsource.com/ivy/bundles/external/[organisation]/[module]/[revision]/[artifact]-[revision].[ext]"
/>
			    <artifact
pattern="http://repository.springsource.com/ivy/bundles/external/[organisation]/[module]/[revision]/[artifact]-[revision].[ext]"
/>
			</url>

The release repo has all Spring stuff, and the external repo has external
dependencies.

I can setup dependencies for Spring modules, like Spring-Core, and they are
resolved fine. But when the transitive dependencies are being resolved I am
running into problems. Below is a typical log of what happens with the
transitive dependencies.

[ivy:install] 	setup: no ivy file nor artifact found for
net.sourceforge.ehcache#com.springsource.net.sf.ehcache;1.3.0
[ivy:install] 		tried
http://repository.springsource.com/ivy/bundles/release/net.sourceforge.ehcache/com.springsource.net.sf.ehcache/1.3.0/ivy-1.3.0.xml
[ivy:install] CLIENT ERROR: Not Found
url=http://repository.springsource.com/ivy/bundles/release/net.sourceforge.ehcache/com.springsource.net.sf.ehcache/1.3.0/ivy-1.3.0.xml

- at this point resolving stops for many minutes and Ivy hangs. The release
repo does not have the transitive dependencies and at this point it should
roll over to the external repo but instead Ivy hangs.

Then it comes live again and emits an exception message:

[ivy:install] 		tried
http://repository.springsource.com/ivy/bundles/release/net.sourceforge.ehcache/com.springsource.net.sf.ehcache/1.3.0/com.springsource.net.sf.ehcache-1.3.0.jar
[ivy:install] (httpclient.HttpMethodDirector       438 ) I/O exception
(org.apache.commons.httpclient.NoHttpResponseException) caught when
processing request: The server repository.springsource.com failed to respond

- Even though the exception says that the repo fails to respond, it is not
true. It returns a 404 with Amazon S3 error message explaining that the
resource is not there.

- After this Ivy tries again from the wrong repo and hangs for many
minutes...

[ivy:install] (httpclient.HttpMethodDirector       444 ) Retrying request
[ivy:install] CLIENT ERROR: Not Found
url=http://repository.springsource.com/ivy/bundles/release/net.sourceforge.ehcache/com.springsource.net.sf.ehcache/1.3.0/com.springsource.net.sf.ehcache-1.3.0.jar

- Exception and messages after the hang resolves in a few minutes...

[ivy:install] 	com.springsource.repository.bundles.release: no ivy file nor
http://repository.springsource.com/ivy/bundles/external/net.sourceforge.ehcache/com.springsource.net.sf.ehcache/1.3.0/ivy-1.3.0.xml
[ivy:install] (httpclient.HttpMethodDirector       438 ) I/O exception
(org.apache.commons.httpclient.NoHttpResponseException) caught when
processing request: The server repository.springsource.com failed to respond

- Ivy chooses the next resolver which is now attached to the repo we want.

[ivy:install] (httpclient.HttpMethodDirector       444 ) Retrying request
[ivy:install] 	com.springsource.repository.bundles.external: found md file
for net.sourceforge.ehcache#com.springsource.net.sf.ehcache;1.3.0
[ivy:install] 		=>
http://repository.springsource.com/ivy/bundles/external/net.sourceforge.ehcache/com.springsource.net.sf.ehcache/1.3.0/ivy-1.3.0.xml
(1.3.0)
[ivy:install] downloading
http://repository.springsource.com/ivy/bundles/external/net.sourceforge.ehcache/com.springsource.net.sf.ehcache/1.3.0/ivy-1.3.0.xml
[ivy:install] 	com.springsource.repository.bundles.external: downloading
http://repository.springsource.com/ivy/bundles/external/net.sourceforge.ehcache/com.springsource.net.sf.ehcache/1.3.0/ivy-1.3.0.xml
[ivy:install] 	com.springsource.repository.bundles.external: downloading
http://repository.springsource.com/ivy/bundles/external/net.sourceforge.ehcache/com.springsource.net.sf.ehcache/1.3.0/ivy-1.3.0.xml.sha1
[ivy:install] sha1 OK for
http://repository.springsource.com/ivy/bundles/external/net.sourceforge.ehcache/com.springsource.net.sf.ehcache/1.3.0/ivy-1.3.0.xml
[ivy:install] 	[SUCCESSFUL ]
net.sourceforge.ehcache#com.springsource.net.sf.ehcache;1.3.0!ivy.xml(ivy.original)
(340ms)
[ivy:install] 	found
net.sourceforge.ehcache#com.springsource.net.sf.ehcache;1.3.0 in
com.springsource.repository.bundles.external

- The dependency is finally resolved after many minutes. And so it goes on
for the next hundred and so dependencies, inching along hour after hour.

Any ideas why this is happening?