ant-ivy-user mailing list archives

From Garima Bathla <garima.bat...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: feature request: configuration intersections only implemented halfway
Date Wed, 29 Jul 2009 22:04:00 GMT
Shawn, I apologize for putting the idea out there that configuration
intersections should be removed entirely from Ivy. Truth be told, I'd be
having just as big a conniption as you would if that really were to happen. The
reason I broached that thought was merely to acknowledge that there may be
some philosophical opposition to the entire concept.

I think Mitch has pretty accurately described the real-life business problem
I'm facing now. I don't want to specify an artifact that by itself is
inaccurate:
<artifact ... conf="windows,debug" />
And then see a consumer Ivy module ask for "windows,debug". If that happens,
my system blows up. The way things are now, there's no way to prevent that
from happening and there's no EASY way to communicate when a union is really
a union and when it's not. I tried to convey the problem I'm facing with the
"rock" and "hard place" passage of my original post.

It seems like the way configuration intersections are implemented now is a
bit like the sort of sausage-making compromise that happens with
legislation. Some people don't want something at all, other people want
something in its full form, and in the process of meeting halfway, neither
party is left entirely happy.

So what I would propose is a two-step process: a quick fix followed by a
long-term solution.

The quick fix I'd like to see for Ivy 2.1 is to allow intersections to be
specified on publication artifacts. The long-term solution, which I think
would appease the people (including me) who have certain philosophical
concerns about intersections, is to transition to a module descriptor API
whereby, in addition to the existing simple Ivy confs, you also can have
conf-like elements out of which composite intersection Ivy confs can be
constructed.

I really appreciate your feedback on my posts.

Regards,
Garima.

On Wed, Jul 29, 2009 at 11:39 AM, Shawn Castrianni <