ant-ivy-user mailing list archives

From Richard Hauswald <richard.hausw...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: Migrating to Ivy
Date Thu, 18 Jun 2009 17:01:13 GMT
Hi Carl,
have a look at this site: http://ant.apache.org/ivy/links.html

I'm not using ivy for a long time so I can not guarantee that my
hint's will be the best ones. I'm also creating a company ivy
repository and from what I've seen so far I don't think the public
maven repos will be a big help. I use them to extract license
informations and descriptions if the poms that seems to be correct...
I'm writing the ivy files by hand using a pattern which not requires
the creation of many folders:
<property name="ivy.default.ivy.user.dir"
value="${user.home}/programming/ivy-repository" />
	<property name="ivy.local.default.ivy.pattern"
value="[organisation]/[module]/[module]-[revision]-[type].[ext]" />
	<property name="ivy.local.default.artifact.pattern"
value="[organisation]/[module]/[artifact]-[revision]-[type].[ext]" />
Using the default pattern it would be very annoying creating all the
folders... But the main reason I'm using this pattern is, that I want
to see the jar's version in eclipse.

We do also check in all the libs and their sources in our svn. I don't
think its possible to migrate the whole company in one big step. So
what I plan to do is to create a build file in the project I'm working
in and define a task which retrieves the jars and their sources. Since
the jar names will change I'd have to reinclude the jars and assign
the sources again. So I'm currently writing a Ant task toolkit for
eclipse class path manipulation. What I've working right now is a task
reading all libs in a directory and adding them to a specified class
path file. The task also assigns the sources and it clears out all
references to non existing jars - but only for entries from the same
lib directory. I'm not sure about what to do with this toolkit if its
ready - preferably I'll start a open source project.

Using this toolkit it should not be a problem converting all projects
step by step to use the ivy repository. If the most of them are
converted to use ivy I'll try to remove the jars from the projects and
link them directly from the network drive to the eclipse class path.
But we have automated build system (hudson) which is running on a
linux box and before removing the jars out of the project I'll have to
find a way to make the builds running in hudson. I'd also recommend to
let each developer do the job of writing ivy files and creating
repository entries for the libs. It's a lot of work and this work
should be devided so the process won't take that long. Of course each
developer will need some knowledge about ivy but I think If you do the
first projects in pair it won't take long until all developers know
how to include a lib in the repository.

Ok, that got longer than expected... hope this helps a bit,
Richard