ant-ivy-user mailing list archives

From Archie Cobbs <archie.co...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Ivy confs masquerading as dependencies' revisions
Date Fri, 26 Jun 2009 20:42:49 GMT
On Fri, Jun 26, 2009 at 2:42 PM, Garima Bathla <garima.bathla@gmail.com>wrote:

> Archie, thanks for taking a stab at this. Let's follow the example of Foo
> depending on Bar depending on JUnit.
>
> And let's follow your suggestion and put the dependency on JUnit directly
> in
> Foo's ivy.xml:
>    <dependency org="org.junit" name="junit" rev="3.8.2" conf="..."
> />
>
> Now, the question arises, what to do about Bar's dependency on JUnit?
> Suppose I keep it there:
>    <dependency org="org.junit" name="junit" rev="[3.8.2,4.6]" conf="..." />
>
> Having this dependency there in Bar actually causes Ivy to ignore Foo's
> request for JUnit 3.8.2. Instead, JUnit 4.6 is what gets resolved.

OK, you can stop right there...  that's clearly broken and I think must be a
bug.

The whole point of ivy is to find a resolution that satisfies all the
constraints (when possible). If it's not doing that then something very
basic is wrong.

I would reduce this to the simplest possible test case and then file a bug.

-Archie

--
Archie L. Cobbs