ant-ivy-user mailing list archives

From Archie Cobbs <archie.co...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: ivy resolve for different configurations
Date Tue, 09 Jun 2009 20:04:46 GMT
On Tue, Jun 9, 2009 at 9:18 AM, Alina Dima <dima.alina@gmail.com> wrote:

> I am just starting with Ivy on an already existing, relatively complicated,
> build system and I am working on increasing the performance of the
> resolve/retrieve Ivy operations. I would like to ask for your advice, what
> do you think would be the main issues I should focus on regarding the
> resolve/retrieve settings so that I make my resolve operation as fast as
> possible?

There is a setting (can't remember it exactly) to tell ivy whether to
download ivy.xml files every time, or to use the previously cached one (if
the version has not changed). If you don't expect your ivy.xml files for the
same revision to change then this should help.

Also, using JAR files right out of the cache (e.g. for when building a
CLASSPATH) instead of copying them saves disk copies.

> A more specific question, I am not entirely sure how the Ivy resolve
> exactly
> works, but if the very same module belongs to different configurations,
> will
> it be resolved multiple times, once for each configuration? And if yes, is
> there a workaround this?

Modules contain configurations, not the other way around.

If by "module" you meant "artifact" then the answer is no, the artifact will
only be included once even if it is listed in multiple configurations.

-Archie

--
Archie L. Cobbs