ant-ivy-user mailing list archives

From Shawn Castrianni <Shawn.Castria...@halliburton.com>
Subject RE: inline resolve mode
Date Tue, 23 Jun 2009 16:18:05 GMT
I am trying to allow my users to experiment with dependencies.  I do have real ivy.xml files
for all of my modules.  Right now, if my users want to experiment and change their dependencies
of their module, they have to edit the dependencies section of the ivy.xml file.  That is
fine, however, by changing the real ivy.xml file, they may accidentally commit this change
to the SVN repo by mistake.  Therefore, I would like to somehow give them a way to add dependencies
to the ones already listed in the ivy.xml file through some ANT property or something.  Like:

ant dependencies -DextraDependencies="A,B"

my ant script could check if the extraDependencies property is set and then somehow tell ivy
to add these two modules (A and B) to the list of dependencies found in the ivy.xml file

---
Shawn Castrianni

-----Original Message-----
From: Archie Cobbs [mailto:archie.cobbs@gmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, June 23, 2009 9:41 AM
To: ivy-user@ant.apache.org
Subject: Re: inline resolve mode

Hmm....

First of all, every module must have an ivy.xml file to describe it.

If what you want to resolve is a module, then you can do that with the
inline ant tasks. Then you are specifying the module name and letting ivy
(using your ivy settings) locate the corresponding ivy.xml file, process the
dependencies, etc.

If what you want to do is define a new module inline (including one or more
dependencies) and then resolve it, then you are essentially trying to
"inline" and ivy.xml file and I don't think ivy currently supports that. I
don't see why you would need the ability to do this anyway... you can always
just put the module meta-data into a local ivy.xml file and then refer to
it.

Not sure what you're trying to do but I typically do this kind of thing for
software projects. Each project has it's own ivy.xml that defines
configurations like "compile", "test", etc. When I need to build the
classpath for the "javac" task, I use an inline call to <ivy:cachepath> or
whatever to get the JARs associated with the "compile" configuration, etc.

Hope this helps.

-Archie

On Tue, Jun 23, 2009 at 1:06 AM, Shawn Castrianni <

--
Archie L. Cobbs

and delete all copies of this message.