ant-ivy-user mailing list archives

From Nicolas Lalevée <nicolas.lale...@hibnet.org>
Subject Re: IvyDE deletes .classpath attributes when container properties are updated
Date Wed, 10 Jun 2009 15:41:04 GMT

On Tue, 09 Jun 2009 20:14:29 +0100, Jeffrey Sinclair <jeff@cooljeff.co.uk>
wrote:
> ivy-user,
>
> I'm finding that when I update the properties of an Ivy Managed
> Dependency classpath container, IvyDE deletes the classpath entry and
> re-creates it. This causes a problem when other plugins contribute
> attributes to the classpath entry. This only happens when settings are
> updated, not on a re-resolve.
>
> To give a concrete example. The AspectJ plugin (AJDT) will add some
> properties related to which containers are associated to the aspect path
> (used for weaving in aspects).
>
> For example:
>
> <classpathentry kind="con"

path="org.apache.ivyde.eclipse.cpcontainer.IVYDE_CONTAINER/?ivyXmlPath=ivy.xml&confs=*&ivySettingsPath=project%3A%2F%2F%2Fivy-settings.xml&acceptedTypes=jar%2Cbundle%2Cejb%2Cmaven-plugin&sourceTypes=source&javadocTypes=javadoc&sourceSuffixes=-source%2C-sources%2C-src&javadocSuffixes=-javadoc%2C-javadocs%2C-doc%2C-docs&alphaOrder=false&resolveInWorkspace=false">
>   <attributes>
>     <attribute name="org.eclipse.ajdt.aspectpath.restriction"
>                value="tracing"/>
>     <attribute name="org.eclipse.ajdt.aspectpath"
>                value="org.eclipse.ajdt.aspectpath"/>
>   </attributes>
> </classpathentry>
>
> Now if I update the settings in the ivy.xml container (say resolve
> dependencies from my workspace), the attributes are lost because IvyDE
> appears to delete the classpathentry and re add it.
>
> This behaviour is different when compared to adding source code
> attachments to an external jar in which the classpath attributes are
> preserved even though the classpathentry is updated.
>
> This is causing a significant interop issue between IvyDE and AJDT.

Your issue seems a lot similar to
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/IVYDE-178

> I'm not sure if this is definitely a problem with IvyDE, however I was
> wondering if it would be possible to get IvyDE to preserve them?

I think it can.

> It would be great to fix this before the final release.

I don't think it will happen, sorry.
Considering the amount of code change that might be needed to fix this, it
would possibly introduce some other bugs, I would like to preserve a little
bit the quite good stability of the plugin.

Nicolas