ant-ivy-user mailing list archives

From Niklas Matthies <ml_ivy-u...@nmhq.net>
Subject Re: Use of "master" conf
Date Thu, 11 Jun 2009 21:29:52 GMT
On Thu 2009-06-11 at 11:59h, Michael Kebe wrote on ivy-user:

> When talking about module dependencies you have two view.
>
> 1) The view from your module (What does it need?).
>
> 2) The view to you module (Who needs it?).

Certainly.

> And the your "master" configuration can be used by other modules which
> depend on your module, but without your dependencies.

But for what purpose, without the dependencies?

Given a dependency A->B, I don't think that A should depend on whether
a particular artifact of that dependency is published by B or by some
dependency of B. For example, B should be able to factor out some part
of itself into a separate module and add a dependency to it, without
breaking A. It's effectively an implementation detail of B whether its
artifacts are published directly by B or rather by a dependency of B.
Those "master" configurations expose this implementation aspect, and I
wonder why this would be desirable.

-- Niklas Matthies