ant-ivy-user mailing list archives

From Garima Bathla <garima.bat...@gmail.com>
Subject Ivy confs masquerading as dependencies' revisions
Date Fri, 26 Jun 2009 03:21:51 GMT
Let's say I have an Ivy module that depends on JUnit. But when I go to
publish version 1.0 of my module, I don't want to commit to a particular
version of JUnit. I want to leave open the option to depend on either JUnit
3.8.2 or JUnit 4.6.

The best way I've come up with to accomplish this is to create an Ivy conf
for each JUnit version, so I would have dependencies like so:
    <dependency org="org.junit" name="junit" rev="3.8.2"
conf="junit-3.8.2->*" />
    <dependency org="org.junit" name="junit" rev="4.6" conf="junit-4.6->*"
/>

It strikes me as a bit hacky to be having Ivy confs masquerading as the
revisions for a module's dependencies. I mean, the more revisions of that
dependency you want to support in a single module, the more Ivy confs you're
going to need. But then, I also understand that, when you go to publish a
particular revision of an Ivy module, you're committing to not only that
revision of that module but also to the revisions of its dependencies.

I'm just wondering if there's a less cumbersome way to be flexible about the
dependencies for a *published *Ivy module. But it seems like, logically,
there *shouldn't* be.