ant-ivy-user mailing list archives

From "Vonnahme, Paul" <Vonnahme.P...@principal.com>
Subject Published jars for test, pilot, and production environments?
Date Tue, 19 May 2009 17:26:36 GMT
I'm hoping someone else is in a similar situation.  We have some utility jars used by multiple
projects.  These jars have three different versions: one each for our test, pilot, and production
environments.  Therefore I believe each of the versions needs to be published so it will be
available for multiple apps to use.

When an app builds, it should get the latest version of the jar depending on the environment.
 The ivy.xml would contain:
            <dependency org="principal" name="utility_jar" rev="latest.integration"/>
 .

I'd like to do something like:
        ant compile -Denv=test
for it to build with the latest test jar, -Denv=pilot to build with the latest pilot jar,
etc.

My idea is to have three different versions of the settings file, and just change the root
of a resolver based on the environment.
          <property name="ivy.shared.default.root" value="/IvyRepository/test"/> would
specify the root of the 'shared' resolver for the test environment.  "/IvyRepository/pilot"
would exist for pilot, etc.

The problem I see with this is that the local cache would contain versions from all environments
(depending on which one you built with last) and would have to be cleared out every time.

Am I overthinking the problem?  Is there a way to only have one repository but still be able
to specify the latest jar from a specific environment?

Thanks,
Paul

-----Message Disclaimer-----

This e-mail message is intended only for the use of the individual or
entity to which it is addressed, and may contain information that is
privileged, confidential and exempt from disclosure under applicable law.
If you are not the intended recipient, any dissemination, distribution or
reply email to Connect@principal.com and delete or destroy all copies of
the original message and attachments thereto. Email sent to or from the
Principal Financial Group or any of its member companies may be retained
as required by law or regulation.

Nothing in this message is intended to constitute an Electronic signature
for purposes of the Uniform Electronic Transactions Act (UETA) or the
Electronic Signatures in Global and National Commerce Act ("E-Sign")
unless a specific statement to the contrary is included in this message.

While this communication may be used to promote or market a transaction
or an idea that is discussed in the publication, it is intended to provide
general information about the subject matter covered and is provided with
the understanding that The Principal is not rendering legal, accounting,
or tax advice. It is not a marketed opinion and may not be used to avoid
penalties under the Internal Revenue Code. You should consult with
appropriate counsel or other advisors on all matters pertaining to legal,
tax, or accounting obligations and requirements.