ant-ivy-user mailing list archives

From Niklas Matthies <ml_ivy-u...@nmhq.net>
Subject Re: configuration help
Date Wed, 15 Apr 2009 17:07:16 GMT
I'm not sure that dependencies on intersections of configurations are
well-defined with regard to transitive dependencies. Suppose that A
depends on the intersection of B and C, and B depends on D, and C on
E. Now does that mean that A transitively depends on the union of D
and E, or on their intersection? Or is the intersection of the
_dependencies_ of B and C taken, which would mean neither of D and E?

If you say "intersection", then you probably get too few artifacts. If
you say "union", then it begs the question whether the intersection
was really an intersection. Also, with "union", if you decide to turn
B and C into "virtual" modules and move their to B' and C', with B->B'
and C->C', then suddenly someone depending on the intersection of B
and C will get the union of the artifacts from B' and C' instead of
their intersection.

It seems to me that for well-defined and robust intersection semantics,
Ivy would need to know the actual dependencies on the artifact level,
so that it can accurately determine the dependencies of arbitrary
artifact (sub-)sets.

-- Niklas Matthies