ant-ivy-user mailing list archives

From "Brown, Carlton" <Carlton.Br...@compucredit.com>
Subject RE: [solved] How to prevent "unknown resolver" errors?
Date Thu, 12 Mar 2009 17:33:27 GMT

[snip]

> >> To answer my above question... I now tried using separate
> >> *resolution* caches for each ivysetting.xml-s, but with the common
> >> per-user
> >> *repository* cache, ${user.home}/.ivy2/cache.  As the
> >> ivysetting.xml-specific resolver names still get into
> >> ${user.home}/.ivy2/cache (yes, into the *repository* cache part of
> >> it), it can still cause "undefined resolver" errors in *other*
> >> projects that use ${user.home}/.ivy2/cache too. It doesn't cause
> >> errors in my project though, as it knows the custom resolvers.
> >
> > If you're getting this behavior, think you've either made
> an error in
> > configuration or uncovered a bug.   Could you post your respective
> > config files rather than describing what you did?
>
> I would believe that the authors are aware of this. Simply,
> the name of the last resolver of an artifact is stored in the
> ivydata-[revision].properties file as the "resolver"
> property. And that file belongs to the repository cache, not
> to the resolution cache, right?

Correct, it was my mistake.   The repository cache does contain resolver
information (at least as of 2.0.0).  I think the design is sound... The
cache should contain some resolver state, otherwise it couldn't work
offline and still respect the resolvers that Ivy does know about.   But
I think the "unknown resolver" error is a bug... in my opinion Ivy
shouldn't error out if it encounters an unknown resolver, as long as the
resolver doesn't get used.   You can go here and open a bug and see if
the developers agree:  https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/IVY

[snip]
> Simply, since multiple projects use the same ivysettings.xml,
> and they may be built in parallel (think about a continuos
> integration server), and the resolution caches shouldn't be
> accessed concurrently (according to the Ivy docs), I think I
> can't use just one resolution cache per ivysettings.xml. Can
> I?

You can specify the default cache as a property and then override it
from the build script before you call ivy:settings.