ant-ivy-user mailing list archives

From Mitch Gitman <mgit...@gmail.com>
Subject trying to configure the Hudson Ivy plugin
Date Mon, 16 Mar 2009 01:53:33 GMT
I realize I might better be posting this query to the Hudson users mailing
list. And I probably will.

I've installed the Hudson Ivy plugin on Hudson, the CI server.

When I want to configure a particular job (project) to use the Ivy plugin, I
go to the "Post-build Actions" section and check "Trigger the build of other
project based on the Ivy management system." For "Ivy file," I fill in the
path relative to the project root of the ivy.xml file to use. When I do
this, though, I get this error:
HTTP Status 404 - /publisher/IvyBuildTrigger/checkIvyFile

type Status report

message /publisher/IvyBuildTrigger/checkIvyFile

description The requested resource (/publisher/IvyBuildTrigger/checkIvyFile)
is not available.

I've seen an issue in Hudson's issues tracker that describes this same
problem. The issue thread suggests this has been fixed as of March 5:
http://www.nabble.com/-Issue-3100--New---Correctly-configured-ivy.xml-in-project-post-build-action-results-in-HTTP-404-error-td22129981.html

FWIW, I am using the latest version of Hudson. Has anyone else encountered
this? And if so and if you managed to get past it, how? Or was it ignorable?

But then I have a potentially bigger issue with the Hudson Ivy plugin. The
documentation of how to configure it is ambiguous:
http://wiki.hudson-ci.org/display/HUDSON/Ivy+Plugin

The above page suggests one should also check a box, "Build other projects."
And apparently, you need to fill in the names of projects.

I'm going to figure that the checkboxes work like this:

   - "Trigger the build of other project based on the Ivy management
   system": upstream projects; projects that this project depends on
   - "Build other projects": downstream projects; projects that depend on
   this project

Am I interpreting this correctly? If so, I can't help but question the
usefulness of this plugin to begin with since what I really care about is
downstream projects. Perhaps someone who's using Hudson with Ivy can explain
to me the value that the Hudson Ivy plugin provides above and beyond just
manually specifying the dependent projects to build via "Build other
projects."