ant-ivy-user mailing list archives

From Alan Chaney <a...@writingshow.com>
Subject Re: ivy:resolve appears to ignore 'type'
Date Fri, 13 Mar 2009 14:04:47 GMT
Tom Widmer wrote:
> Alan Chaney wrote:
>> I have a setup with a chain repository which has a repository for jar
>> files used to build a set of war files (using a number of different
>> permutations). I publish the jar files into one element of the chain
>> and the war files into another. The war files are then made available
>> via a company-wide repository.
>>
>> It so happens that one of the war files has the same name as a jar file.
>
> Why not rename the module rather than the jar? As far as I can tell,
> the jar and the war are not part of the same module, so why give them
> the same module name? The artifact names need not change in order to
> change the module names.
>
> I hope this helps - I may have missed the issue.

No, actually thats what I did in the end. The actual web application was
very small and had a tiny little skeleton library in it which was used
as part of a remote service to "plug in" to a much bigger library in
another dependency and so I was just being lazy in trying to avoid
having two separate projects! It was one of those things where you start
digging a particular hole and its sometimes difficult to realize that
the best thing to do is to start a new one.

It certainly clarified my thoughts about exactly what an ivy "module"
represents. The conclusion I came to was that the ivy module represents
a "deliverable" - and although this deliverable may have more than one
manifestation (class library jar, javadocs, source) they all represents
aspects of the same 'thing'. What I was trying to do was to fool ivy
into handling two different 'thing's within the same module.

Thanks for your comments, they were helpful.

Alan