ant-ivy-user mailing list archives

From Archie Cobbs <archie.co...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Packager resolver - javadoc in restricted mode
Date Mon, 23 Mar 2009 18:12:47 GMT
On Mon, Mar 23, 2009 at 12:50 PM, Stephen Woods <swoods123@gmail.com> wrote:

> Unfortuantely, thats not how the packager resolver currently works.
> The packager downloads mini-ant build files (package.xml), runs an
> xslt transformation over them to make sure all of the ant tasks used
> are on the "blessed" list, and then executes the build. So execution
> isn't really from within a library where one could lock things down
> with security policies per se. Its not really the Ivy library that's
> calling the shots as to what can or cannot run, its the XSL
> transformation that is used to generate the final ant build script.

But the packager resolver does run the ant task within the same JVM, so
presumably whatever security policy was in place before would still apply.

> Then again, is it possible to run subant in a sandox, i.e. with its
> own java security Policy? I don't know... never looked into it. Has
> anyone tried to run ant from within a sandbox? Is it even possible?

It should be possible to run pretty much anything in a security sandbox,
with sufficient configuration.

I think it's the right idea to consider refactoring the packager resolver to
use Java security mechanisms instead of using an ant task blacklist. That
way we could e.g., allow any file operations as long as they were below the
build working directory. This would more precisely implement what we want.
Please file a feature request for this if you like.

-Archie

--
Archie L. Cobbs