ant-ivy-user mailing list archives

From Juha Ranta <juha.ra...@iki.fi>
Subject Re: trying to configure the Hudson Ivy plugin
Date Tue, 17 Mar 2009 17:09:54 GMT

Mitch Gitman wrote:

> When I want to configure a particular job (project) to use the Ivy plugin,
> go to the "Post-build Actions" section and check "Trigger the build of
> other
> project based on the Ivy management system." For "Ivy file," I fill in the
> path relative to the project root of the ivy.xml file to use. When I do
> this, though, I get this error:
> HTTP Status 404 - /publisher/IvyBuildTrigger/checkIvyFile
>
> type Status report
>
> message /publisher/IvyBuildTrigger/checkIvyFile
>
> description The requested resource
> (/publisher/IvyBuildTrigger/checkIvyFile)
> is not available.

I had a similar problem, I don't remember if it was this exact one, but to
"solve" it I opened the Ivy plugin package and manually hardcoded some
address to the jelly configuration files (I don't remember exactly). I hope
it has been fixed.

> But then I have a potentially bigger issue with the Hudson Ivy plugin. The
> documentation of how to configure it is ambiguous:
> http://wiki.hudson-ci.org/display/HUDSON/Ivy+Plugin
>
> The above page suggests one should also check a box, "Build other
> projects."
> And apparently, you need to fill in the names of projects.
>
> I'm going to figure that the checkboxes work like this:
>
>    - "Trigger the build of other project based on the Ivy management
>    system": upstream projects; projects that this project depends on
>    - "Build other projects": downstream projects; projects that depend on
>    this project
>
> Am I interpreting this correctly? If so, I can't help but question the
> usefulness of this plugin to begin with since what I really care about is
> downstream projects. Perhaps someone who's using Hudson with Ivy can
> explain
> to me the value that the Hudson Ivy plugin provides above and beyond just
> manually specifying the dependent projects to build via "Build other
> projects."

In Hudson, when you configure that A has a downstream project B, then it is
automatically assumed that B has an upstream project A, and vice versa.

The Ivy plugin automatically configures the upstream projects of a given
project. After all, only the upstream projects can be figured out from an
ivy.xml. However, things aren't so sad, because the downstream projects will
also add their upstream projects to Hudson via Ivy plugin. This means that
when you add another project which depends on your first project, your first
project will automatically get your another project as an downstream
project.